High Commission,



The employment of non-Jamaicans in Jamaica is governed by the Foreign Nationals and Commonwealth Citizens (Employment) Act, 1964, which seeks to ensure that qualified Jamaicans are given first consideration in employment opportunities. At the same time, it is recognized that the expertise needed for economic development is not always available because of a shortage in the supply of certain special skills.


·           Non-Jamaicans seeking employment in Jamaica are required to make an application to the Ministry of Agriculture, Labour and Social Security through their prospective employer, contractor (individuals), the Jamaica Promotions Corporation (JAMPRO - Investors) or through legal representation..  The permits are issued at the discretion of the Minister of Agriculture, Labour and Social Security.


·           All work permit applications are to be submitted directly to:


Ministry of Agriculture, Labour and Social Security

1F North Street, Kingston, Jamaica W.I.

Telephone 876 922 9500-12

Email: mlss@govjm.com


See additional information for Work Permits, including exemptions. 


For Jamaican Passport Holders

Caribbean Single Market Economy (Free Movement of Skilled Persons)

Jamaica passed legislation including the Caribbean Community (Free Movement of Skilled Persons Act) which provides for the movement of skills in ten (10) categories. As a result, there will is no need for CARICOM nationals to apply for work permits in these specified areas. Outside of these, work permits are required. The ten categories are:


1.    Graduates of all recognized Universities of the World

2.    Artistes

3.    Musicians

4.    Sportspersons

5.    Media Workers

6.    Nurses

7.    Teachers

8.  Artisans with Caribbean Vocational Qualifications ( such as those issued by Heart Trust/NTA)

9.    Holders of Associate Degrees of comparable qualifications

10.  Domestic Workers with a Caribbean Vocational Qualification (CVQ)




Jamaicans falling within the categories above may apply for Skills Certificates at the Ministry of Agriculture, Labour and Social Security.

Work Permit Requirements