A non-Jamaican national having attained the age of
eighteen (18) years, who is of good character, lived in Jamaica for a minimum
of five (5) years on aggregate and for 12 months immediately preceding
submission of the application, is eligible to apply for Jamaican citizenship.
The application should
be made (in duplicate) on Naturalisation
The form should be
carefully read then completed and signed in the presence of a Justice of the
Four (4) references
are required as sponsors of the application. These persons should be Jamaican
by birth and should not be a Civil Servant, a relative, lawyer or agent of the
Before submitting the
application, notice of your intention to apply for Naturalisation must appear
in a daily newspaper. An example of the advertisement is set out on the final
page of the application form. This notice should be published on two (2)
separate occasions at least one (1) week apart and should be submitted along
with the application which should not be older than 6 months.
forms along with newspaper notices should be submitted to the Citizenship Unit
of the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency along with the following
The documents (either the originals or duly notarized) required to apply for
Jamaican citizenship are:
1. Applicant’s Birth Certificate/Statement of Live Birth/Certification of
2. Marriage certificate / Decree Absolute (if applicable).
3. Passport on which the applicant originally entered Jamaica.
4. Current Passport (if different from the one above).
5. Valid Work Permit Card / Exemption Certificate.
6. Personal Tax Compliance Certificate. NB If applicant is the owner of a
business, the company Tax Compliance Certificate must be submitted.
7. If applicant operates a wholesale/haberdashery then Income Tax Filings
with both Personal and Business Tax Compliance Certificates are required.
8. Recent Bank Statement (should not be older than 6 months).
9. Verification of Income e.g. Employment Letter, Last Three Pay slips,
Company Financial Statements, Pension statement (should not be older than 6
10. Evidence of any Community activity/Service Club.
11. Official change of name Document, Deed Polls must be registered through
the court or the Country’s record office, Court Order, (where applicable).
12. Two (2) passport sized
photographs of the applicant certified by a Justice of the Peace for local
applications or by a Notary Public, Justice of the Peace, Commissioner of Oaths
or Consular Officer, for overseas applications.
Once the above
documents are submitted to the High Commission, they are sent to the Passport,
Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA) to be processed. Compliant applications
will be prepared for submission to the Minister within twenty four (24) months and then returned to
the Jamaican High Commission to be dispatched to the applicant.
A Jamaican Passport or Travel Document may be issued
on application to a non – Jamaican only after the person has obtained a
Certificate of Registration or Naturalization from the appropriate authorities
Applications are submitted directly to the:
and Immigration Agency (PICA)
25C Constant Spring
Kingston 10, Jamaica
There is no fee for this application.
reserves the right to request additional and or updated information during the
processing of the application.
SUBMITTED THROUGH THE JAMAICAN HIGH COMMISSION WILL ATTRACT A CONSULAR FEE OF
CAD$13.00 IN ADDITION TO A POSTAGE FEE OF CAD$13.00.